Regular visits with your primary care providers, Dr. Janette Nguyen and Dr. Hoan Ngo of Premier NW Houston Medical Group in Cypress, TX, are particularly important if you have diabetes. Whether you have type 1 or 2 diabetes, your doctors can help you avoid or manage diabetes-related complications.
How diabetes affects your health
Diabetes occurs when your body doesn't produce insulin or doesn't use the insulin you make effectively. Insulin, a hormone made in your pancreas, helps your body turn glucose (blood sugar) into energy. When you have diabetes, your blood sugar can become too high, which increases your risk of developing:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Vision loss or blindness
- Nerve damage
- Gum disease
- Gastroparesis (a condition that slows the movement of food from your stomach to your small intestine)
- Bacterial or fungal skin infections
- Sores on your feet that become infected
If you have any of these complications, your doctor can recommend treatments, medications and lifestyle changes that will help you protect your health.
You can reduce your risk of complications by:
- Eating more high-fiber foods
- Switching to whole-grain breads, rice and pasta
- Limiting sugary foods and those high in carbohydrates
- Replace soda and juice with diet products or water
- Exercising regularly
- Losing weight
- Brushing and flossing your teeth every day
- Stopping smoking or drinking alcohol
- Keeping stress under control
- Examining your feet every day
It's also important to check your blood sugar daily and call the primary care providers in Cypress, TX, if it's consistently higher than normal.
You don't have to make these changes alone. Your doctors offers several programs that can help you improve your health. If you weigh more than your ideal weight, weight loss counseling could help you shed those extra pounds.
Thanks to nutritional counseling, you'll learn how to choose and prepare healthy foods. Smoking cessation and stress management programs will also help you keep your diabetes symptoms under control and reduce your risk of complications.
Are you struggling to control your diabetes or manage complications? Call your Cypress, TX, primary care providers, Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Ngo of Premier NW Houston Medical Group, at (281) 758-1022 to schedule your appointment.