How your doctors in Cypress, TX, can help you manage COPD
Normal breathing and adequate oxygen levels are vital to your life. If you are without sufficient oxygen, your entire body suffers. There are chronic medical conditions which can impair your ability to breathe, and one of the most common of these is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.
Dr. Janette Nguyen and Dr. Hoan Ngo at Premier NW Houston Medical Group in Cypress, TX, provide a wide range of medical services, including treatment for chronic diseases like COPD.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is an inflammatory disease of the lungs. Emphysema and chronic bronchitis are two conditions which contribute to COPD.
You are at increased risk of developing COPD if you:
- Are exposed to tobacco smoke
- Have asthma
- Have had long-term exposure to dust and chemicals
- Have had long-term exposure to fumes from burning fuel
- Have a genetic predisposition to COPD
COPD is most often caused by smoking, or exposure to smoke and fumes. You may have COPD if you experience:
- Shortness of breath, especially when you are active
- Wheezing and chronic coughing
- Mucus which is white, yellow, or green
- Tightness in your chest
- Frequent respiratory infections
- Swelling in your legs, ankles, or feet
- Unintentional weight loss
Your doctor can help you manage COPD with:
- Methods to help you quit smoking
- Bronchodilators, to help you breathe deeply
- Inhaled and oral steroids to help decrease lung inflammation
- Oxygen therapy, to help you breathe more easily
- Pulmonary rehabilitation, to help improve lung function
If you have COPD, it’s vital to seek out the services of your doctor because untreated COPD can lead to lung cancer, heart problems, and other serious conditions.
To learn more about the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of COPD and other chronic medical diseases, call Dr. Janette Nguyen and Dr. Hoan Ngo at Premier NW Houston Medical Group in Cypress, TX. You can reach them in the office by calling (281) 758-1022, so call now.