Are you at risk of heart disease? Most people are, and your risk increases as you age. You can do a lot to prevent heart disease, but first, you need to understand the risks. Dr. Janette Nguyen and Dr. Hoan Ngo at Premier NW Houston Medical Group in Cypress, TX, provide a wide range of medical services, including diagnosis and treatment of heart disease.
What You Need To Know About Heart Disease
Heart disease is caused by many factors, some of which are out of your control. These factors include:
- A structural abnormality in your heart
- Vascular abnormalities
Heart disease's most common causes come from factors you can control. These include:
- Eating a high-fat diet
- Being overweight or obese
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle
- Having high blood pressure
- Having high cholesterol
Your doctor can help you make dietary and lifestyle modifications to decrease your risk of heart disease. Your doctor can:
- Help you stop smoking and tobacco use
- Counsel you about nutrition and a healthy diet
- Develop meal plans to help you manage weight
- Suggest an exercise regimen to help strengthen your heart
- Prescribe medications to lower blood pressure and cholesterol
Diet is one of the most important factors concerning heart disease. To lower your risk you should eat:
- Lean proteins like poultry and fish, instead of red meat
- Low-fat or nonfat dairy products, instead of full-fat dairy products
- Fruits and vegetables, instead of snacking on chips and sweets
You should also try to stay active. Regular exercise helps control weight, strengthen your heart, and help your heart function better. Try to aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week. Include aerobic exercises like brisk walking, jogging, or swimming, which get your heart pumping.
Want To Know More?
To find out more about the risks of heart disease and what you can do to prevent heart disease, call Dr. Janette Nguyen and Dr. Hoan Ngo at Premier NW Houston Medical Group in Cypress, TX. You can reach them in the office by calling (281) 758-1022, so call today.